So, as the winter draws to a close and with it, my decluttering mode is bound to go too, I thought I would share a list of my top 10 medicine cabinet/makeup bag products. I like to keep my bathroom shelves streamlined and not overloaded with products that I’ll never use. In the past year, my skin has been a huge mess. I used to be able to use any skincare/makeup product with fairly good results. Not so as I’ve gotten older. I have to be so selective about what I can use. It’s actually not all bad, because it’s forced me to narrow down what I can use, what works and is effective on this super sensitive skin. I’ve never experienced skin problems until now. I wasn’t a teenager plagued with acne and even through pregnancies I didn’t have significant skin problems. No one warned me that at this age it would be so difficult to keep my skin healthy. I guess common sense would be a good indicator, but I seem to have missed it somehow, until I suddenly had patches of blotchy, red, flaky skin that were extremely hard to pamper back into it’s former relatively healthy state. Since it was fairly shocking to me to look in the mirror and see, I thought maybe some of the products that have worked for me, could be helpful to you….as time passes : ) I’ve shared lists of beauty products in the past, but I feel like now that my skin is in the best condition it’s been in for years, the list might be improved. I think a lot of the solution is just being diligent about the effort you spend on taking care of your skin. I know that in the past years, it’s become a huge deal for me. So here are some of my faves:
*b* list of products that I swear by…well, I don’t really swear (much), but they really do work!
- First Aid Beauty. I’ve written about their amazing ultra repair cream before, but I recently bought the cleanser and I am in awe of how gentle and effective it is! If you google the brand, it will bring up a list of products and will even help you find a store that carries it near you. I buy mine at Sephora.
- Origins Ginger Souffle Whipped Body Cream. If I could only have one body cream in my cabinet, it would be this one. I’ve used it for many years and I adore the way it feels and smells! As I mentioned yesterday, I try not to accumulate a bunch of different creams and lotions…so it’s not like I don’t use other creams, but if I had to pick one, this would be it.
- MAC products. I don’t use MAC exclusively, but the products that I like are the Cremesheen Lip Glass (If brides ask me about a good lip product for their wedding day, I recommend this one), the Studio Finish Concealer and the Studio Sculpt Foundation. The concealer isn’t heavy, which is important at my age and the foundation is more creamy which works well if your skin is dry, like mine.
- d.j.v. beautenizer mascara. I recently switched to this after years of using the classic Maybelline mascara (pink and green tube). I read about it in a magazine and decided to give it a try. I have been so pleased with it! You have to use a couple of coats, but it stays ALL day, no flaking! And it washes off really easily. I think it’s revolutionary, as mascaras go.
- Anastasia Brow Pencil. With my blonde brows, it’s hard to find a pencil that doesn’t border on reddish. When I saw a photo of myself recently, I knew I needed help with finding the right color. I walked into Sephora and as always they were a great help and my brow problem is solved!
- Smashbox Photo Finish Primer. Again, with my skin issues, this is a really helpful product.
- Burt’s Bees Lip Balm. I have a tube in my desk drawer and one in my purse. I’m rarely without it within reach. I must say that Tom hates to kiss me after I’ve applied it, he says it makes his lips numb. haha!
- Sonia Kashuk brushes. They’re available and affordable at Target and I think they are the best! I’ve bought other more expensive brushes and ended up getting rid of them to go back to my favorite Sonia brushes! They are so awesome. The link is a cool article that she wrote about them…what you need and how to care for them. I can’t apply foundation without her flat, wide foundation brush. I also use her loose powder.
- Nars Eye Shadow. I haven’t personally used this…however, my go-to makeup expert Gabby, highly recommends. She did use it ON me the day of Jared and Beth’s wedding…my favorite makeup day ever! I have used Nars eyelid primer and LOVE it. I just can’t always justify the cost.
What products are your “must haves” ? I’d love to hear!
I have wanted to share more images of the updates around the house, but since we’re not quite done, I’ve hesitated. Even this canvas grouping isn’t really the way it’s going to be….because I plan to do a black/white family shot of Jared, Beth and Eli. But I still like it with the one canvas in color. This is what I see when I look out of my bathroom or come up the steps.
These canvases aren’t small-they each measure 16×24. I will continue to preach it, go BOLD! 8×10 photos are desktop photos, unless they are in a large grouping!
Have a great day and God bless!